- Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP)
- Fetal Infant Mortality Review (FIMR)
- Child Injury Prevention
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Perinatal Substance Use Task Force
Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program: We provide expanded Medi-Cal prenatal services through state-approved providers. We train medical providers and their staff to provide these enhanced services which include psycho-social counseling, nutritional, and health education assessments and interventions, referrals and prenatal education classes. We also help medical providers apply to provide these services.
Contact: Estella Sweeney, Perinatal Services Coordinator. Telephone: 805-981-5144
Fetal Infant Mortality Review Team: Members from various Ventura County agencies meet quarterly to review fetal and infant deaths to assess the local health care system and identify community system gaps that may help reduce these deaths and improve birth outcomes.
Child Injury Prevention: We provide information and education to the general population on accidental injuries children primarily under 14 years of age. Health Education can be provided on topics such as home safety, drowning prevention, poison prevention, child passenger safety and others. Ventura County Public Health is also the lead agency for the SafeKids Ventura County Coalition. As a part of the Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health division, we also work with cases of Shaken Baby Syndrome and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and participate in Fetal Infant Mortality Review.
Contact: Monique Ciccone-Llanos, MPH, Health Educator & Coalition Coordinator. Telephone: 805-981-5225
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Program: We provide two types of SIDS services.
- Any family who suffers an infant death related to SIDS or sudden unexpected infant death related to sleeping will be provided with a Public Health Nurse follow-up including: assessments, case management, education, and referrals to resources such as grief support and counseling.
- Awareness, education and resources about SIDS for caregivers, health educators, hospital maternity departments, health care providers, and any interested community group involved with infants.
Contact: Claudia Benton, MSN, RN-BC, PHN - SIDS Coordinator. Telephone: 805-981-5380
Perinatal Substance Use Task Force: Our mission is to promote a community where children are born free of exposure to alcohol, drugs and tobacco, and high-risk families are identified early and receive assistance from caring professionals across public and private medical, social, educational, and governmental agencies. This system of care is culturally sensitive, collaborative, comprehensive, and coordinated.
Contact: Seleta Dobrosky, RN, BSN, PHN Program Coordinator. Telephone: 805-981-5190