The Lead Lawsuit Settlement
In July of 2019, after 16 years of vigorous litigation, a settlement was reached between 10 California jurisdictions and three paint manufacturers. ConAgra Grocery Products Co., NL Industries Inc. and Sherwin-Williams Company have agreed to pay into a multimillion-dollar fund to remove toxic lead paint hazards from residential properties. As a result, Healthy Homes Ventura County (HHVC) was created.
Our primary goal is to remediate or remove lead hazards from the interior of privately-owned single-family residential properties built before 1978. Lead paint is the primary source of childhood lead poisoning. HHVC integrates health and safety interventions, lead hazard control, and housing rehabilitation for property owners by coordinating resources in an efficient manner to produce healthy homes. The program's approach will improve the housing for current and future occupants across Ventura County. HHVC funding will also be used for education and outreach activities related to lead abatement.
The services that may be available to qualified homeowners include:
- Free lead-paint assessment
- Assistance with cleaning, painting, or remediating lead-based paint **Eligibility considered on a case-by-case basis**
- Replacing windows, trims, and doors
- Lead hazard and healthy homes education
- Other minor repairs
WHAT PROPERTIES ARE ELIGIBLE?
- Residential properties built before 1978 in Ventura County
- Single-Family homes **Commercial buildings are NOT eligible at this time
- Priority will apply to homes housing a child under 6 years of age or a pregnant woman
Priority for units with a child under six living in or regularly visiting or a pregnant occupant, units built before 1978 and homechildcares.
**Owner-occupied units must be home to child under 6, have a pregnant occupant, or be regularly visited by a child under 6 at least 2 times per week, 3 hours each visit.
***Low-income means that to the best of your knowledge the occupants’ gross house hold income is less than the following limits:
# in household
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Income Limit $69,150 $79,050 $88,900 98,800 $106,700 $114,660 $122,500 $130,400
Now accepting applicants from the city of Santa Paula and Oxnard
* Before applying, please see steps below:
Step 1. Create an account for Citizen Access
Step 2. Once you have created your account, you can now apply for the lead abatement program
Access the Healthy Homes Ventura County application by visiting: Citizen Access (Currently accessible on desktop only)
**Please allow 7-10 business days to review application
**Printable Pre-Application: Bilingual (English/Spanish)
BLOOD LEAD TESTING
- Blood lead testing can be done as part of the Well Child Physical or can be requested by your Primary Care Doctor; please schedule an appointment with your clinic. Free testing is available to all children who are eligible for Medi-Cal Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) Gateway. Click on Ventura County CHDP Providers for our list of providers and schedule an appointment.
- NEW Steps to LEAD SAFE Renovation, Repair & Painting (RRP) (English) (Spanish)
- NEW Fixing Up Your Home During COVID-19 (English/Spanish)
- Repainting or Fixing Up Your Older Home (English) (Spanish)
- Making Ventura County Lead-Safe Brochure (English) (Spanish)
- Check for Lead In and Around Your Home Checklist (English/Spanish)
- Is there Lead in or Around Your Home? (English) (Spanish)
- Making Your Home Lead-Safe for your Child (English) (Spanish)
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPPP)
- Lead Related Links and Videos
For more information about Healthy Homes Ventura County
Business Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00a to 5:00p