The Lead Lawsuit Settlement
In July of 2019, after 16 years of vigorous litigation, a settlement was reached between 10 California jurisdictions and three paint manufacturers. ConAgra Grocery Products Co., NL Industries Inc. and Sherwin-Williams Company have agreed to pay into a multimillion-dollar fund to remove toxic lead paint hazards from residential properties. As a result, Healthy Homes Ventura County (HHVC) was created.
Our primary goal is to remediate or remove lead hazards from the interior of privately-owned single-family residential properties built before 1951. Lead paint is the primary source of childhood lead poisoning. HHVC integrates health and safety interventions, lead hazard control, and housing rehabilitation for property owners by coordinating resources in an efficient manner to produce healthy homes. The program's approach will improve the housing for current and future occupants across Ventura County. HHVC funding will also be used for education and outreach activities related to lead abatement.
The services that may be available to qualified homeowners include:
- Free lead-paint assessment
- Assistance with cleaning, painting, or remediating lead-based paint **Eligibility considered on a case-by-case basis**
- Replacing windows, trims, and doors
- Lead hazards and healthy homes education
- Other minor repairs
WHAT PROPERTIES ARE ELIGIBLE?
- Residential properties built before 1951 in Ventura County
- Single-Family homes **Apartments/Duplex or commercial buildings are NOT eligible
- Priority will apply to homes housing a child under 6 years of age or a pregnant woman.
During these uncertain times, we hope that you and your family are safe and healthy. As we continue to accept applications, the application review and process can take longer than 10 business days due to COVID-19. If you have any questions, please email us at: HealthyHomesVC@ventura.org or call 805-981-5228 and we will respond as soon as we can.
Now accepting applicants from the city of Santa Paula
* Before applying, please see steps below:
Step 1. Create an account for Citizen Access
Step 2. Once you have created your account, you can now apply for the lead abatement program
Access the Healthy Homes Ventura County application by visiting: Citizen Access (Currently accessible on desktop only)
Please allow 7-10 business days to review application
- NEW Fixing Up Your Home During COVID-19 (English/Spanish)
- Making Ventura County Lead-Safe Brochure (English) (Spanish)
- Check for Lead In and Around Your Home Checklist (English) (Spanish)
- Repainting or Fixing Up Your Older Home (English) (Spanish)
- Is there Lead in or Around Your Home? (English) (Spanish)
- Making Your Home Lead-Safe for your Child (English) (Spanish)
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPPP)
- Lead Related Links and Videos
For more information about Healthy Homes Ventura County