The Adolescent Family Life Program (AFLP) and Cal-Learn Program work with expectant and parenting teens, both male and female. Both programs address the social, health, educational, and economic consequences of adolescent pregnancy by providing comprehensive case management services to teens and their children.
AFLP is a voluntary program for expectant and parenting teens in the community. The AFLP emphasizes promotion of positive youth development, focusing on and building upon the adolescents’ strengths and resources.
Cal-Learn is a mandatory program for teens who participate in the CalWORKS Program who have not graduated from High School or the equivalent. Both Programs provide services to work toward:
- Improving the health of the pregnant and parenting teen, thus supporting the health of the baby
- Improving graduation rates
- Reducing repeat pregnancies
- Improving linkages and creating networks for pregnant and parenting teens
- Each teen enrolled is assigned to a case manager who will help them with building their personal strengths, achieving their goals, and eliminating barriers to achieving successful outcomes.
- Health services for themselves and their child
- Assisting with staying in or returning to school
- Pregnancy Prevention and Family Planning
- Safe Sex Practices and Education on STI/HIV
- Identifying and achieving personal goals
- Building client strengths and self-esteem
- Financial resources
- Parenting education - Developing effective and healthy parenting skills
- Healthy relationships
- Vocational assistance and counseling
- Referrals for child care
- Locating and utilizing community resources
- Manage difficult situations and overwhelming emotions
- AFLP - PYD Brochure
- AFLP Referral Form
- Cal-Learn Brochure
- Link to California's AFLP site
- Community Resource List for Expectant or Parenting Teens
Contact & Eligibility Information
Ventura County residents who are expectant or parenting young women and men under 19 years of age.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
2240 E. Gonzales Road, Suite 250
Oxnard, CA 93036
Program Manager - Nancy Ballard, MA, LMFT: