Medical Marijuana Identification Program
Background Medical use of marijuana is appropriate treatment in some cases. The Compassionate Use Act (Prop 215) allows medical use of marijuana in California. In addition, was passed to help law enforcement identify Californians who were protected by the Compassionate Use Act. SB 420 also required the Department of Health Services to establish and maintain a statewide medical marijuana identification card and registry program for qualified patients and qualified caregivers. The program is operated by Counties and Ventura County is participating in the program. See the FAQ below for details on who qualifies
A physician may recommend that a person's health would benefit from the use of marijuana in the treatment of cancer, anorexia, AIDS, chronic pain, spasticity, glaucoma, arthritis, migraine, or any other illness for which marijuana provides relief. In such cases, Ventura County residents may apply for Medical Marijuana Identification Cards. Patients and authorized caregivers must have an appointment to apply. You can make an appointment by calling 981-5323. On the day of your appointment you will be coming to the MMIC Program which is located at the following address:
Ventura County Emergency Medical Services
2220 E. Gonzales Rd., #130
Oxnard, CA 93036
Appointments are required
What to Bring to Your Appointment After you make an appointment, bring the following documents with you. Relevant State forms can be downloaded below.
- Original written recommendation from your physician on official letterhead or Written Documentation of Patient's Medical Records - DHS 9044 [English] - [Español].
- Completed Application / Renewal Form (original) - DHS 9042 [English] - [Español].
- Government-issued photo identification (e.g., California State Driver's License, a California State ID Card, United States Passport, Veteran's Administration ID Card).
- Proof that you live in Ventura County. For example, your current photo ID (Sample shown above), current utility bill, California motor vehicle registration with your current address in Ventura County, rent or mortgage payment receipt. PO Box addresses are not acceptable for address verification.
- Annual and Card Replacement Fee: Non Medi-Cal participants, $221.00; qualified Medi-Cal participants, $111.00. Payments can be made by cashiers check, money order or Visa or Mastercard. Please make money orders or cashiers check out to Ventura County Public Health. Application fees are non-refundable.
Denial Appeals Application - DHS 9043 [English] - [Español] (Complete this form to appeal a denial of your application or renewal.)
California Medical Marijuana Identification Program Description
Medical Marijuana FAQs [PDF]
Provider and Patient Responsibilities [PDF]