The Behavioral Health Advisory Board (BHAB) exists under the authority of the California Legislature by its enactment of Section 5604 of the Welfare and Institutions Code as amended by SB43 (McCorquodale, Chapter 564 of 1993). The purpose of the BHAB is provided in Section 5604.2 which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- All appointed members to the BHAB, will have the authority to vote on all issues presented to the board.
- Review and evaluate the community's behavioral health needs, including housing, services, facilities, and special problems to ensure that services are provided that promote wellness and recovery, improving and maintaining the health and safety of individuals, families and communities affected by mental health and/or substance abuse issues.
- Review mental health service performance contracts entered into pursuant to Section 5650.
- Advise the Board of Supervisors and the Behavioral Health Department Director, as to any aspect of the County's mental health and substance abuse disorder treatment and prevention services.
- Review and approve the procedures used to ensure citizen and professional involvement at all stages of the planning process.
- Submit an annual report to the Board of Supervisors on the needs and performance of the County's Behavioral Health system.
- Review and make recommendations on applicants for the appointment of the Behavioral Health Director, who also serves as the County Mental Health Director. The board shall be included in the selection process prior to the vote of the Board of Supervisors.
- Review the impact of funding streams on the delivery of local Behavioral Health Services in order to make recommendations for any service level expansions or reductions.
For more information regarding overall guidelines, see the BHAB Bylaws
Behavioral Health Advisory Board Officers:
Chair: Janis Gardner
1st Vice Chair: Ratan Bhavnani
2nd Vice Chair: Gane Brooking
Secretary: Gina Petrus
Member At Large: vacant
Chair Emeritus: Jerry Harris
Capt. James Fryhoff
Supervisor Linda Parks
Joe S. Ramirez
Ezequiel A. Sánchez
Inquiries regarding the BHAB should be directed to the Behavioral Health Advisory Board (BHAB) Assistant, Edith Pham:
Behavioral Health Advisory Board
1911 Williams Drive, Suite 200
Oxnard, CA 93036