Evacuations are frightening. Having to leave your home and possessions when they are threatened, not knowing what will happen, when you will get to return and what condition it will be in when you do return. There are a lot of unknowns in a stressful situation.
If you live in an area that could be evacuated due to any potential emergency you can prepare and organize. An “Evacuation Checklist” should include:
- Critical medications.
- Important personal papers, photos.
- Essential valuables.
- Pet and livestock transport, limited amount of pet food.
- Change of clothing, toiletries.
- Cell phone.
- Critical papers and effects in a fireproof safe.
- An Evacuation Route Map with at least two routes.
- Drive your planned escape route before the emergency. Law enforcement may alter escape routes during an emergency.